Being from Florida, I’m used to living outside. I also love supporting local small businesses. Put these two loves together and you’ve got yourself one farmers market fanatic! We were used to getting some fantastic produce, local baked goods, and even some plants from our farmers markets in Orlando, so I was excited to check out the offerings in OKC. Here are my favorites so far! And if you want to make a full day of adventuring, here are some Easy Last-Minute Adventures Around OKC that would be options to continue the fun!
OSU-OKC Farmers Market at Scissortail Park
The Scissortail farmers market is hands down my favorite. It’s got such a great variety of vendors, a really fun vibe, and even live entertainment! It’s centrally located and Scissortail park is just a fun place to spend time walking around and letting the kids run and play. While we were there, we picked up some produce, tasted a soft pretzel that was heavenly, and listened to a live band on stage. It’s very family-friendly and there are often other events at the park at the same time.
When? Saturdays 9AM to 1PM, April through October
Where? Scissortail Park, 300 SW 7th St., Oklahoma City, OK
Norman Farm Market
As farmers markets go, the Norman Farm Market is unique. There are a few stands in a parking lot between two buildings. Inside one building there are more produce stands and in the other building there’s a flea market. This is a great option if you decide to go to a farmers market on a chilly or rainy day because you won’t have to stand outside to do it! The boys really enjoyed the flea market side because they got to choose some vintage Matchbox cars to take home.
When? Saturdays 8AM to noon and Tuesdays 4 to 7PM, April through October
Where? 615 E. Robinson St., Norman, OK (Cleveland County Fairgrounds)
Edmond Farmers Market
The Edmond Farmers Market is in a great location and has some fun vendors. We loved that most of the stalls are under a covered area so we weren’t in the sun the whole time. Edmond has lots of great places within walking distance, so you could easily come for the farmers market and stay for brunch! There are more vendors here that sell candles and other small shop items than at the other two I’ve mentioned, so if that’s your thing definitely check this one out!
When? Saturdays 8AM to 1PM, April through October
Where? 26 W. First St., Edmond, OK
- Both the Norman Farm Market and the Scissortail Farmers Market accept SNAP benefits!
- Take cash if you can. Many of the vendors at these farmers markets take cards, but some don’t.
- Take a reusable shopping bag. It will be easier to collect all your purchases in one place.
- Pack an insulated bag or small cooler with ice packs if you’re not planning on heading straight home. This way you can leave your produce in the car while you go about your other adventures without having to worry about it wilting.
- Picky eaters? Letting the kids choose their produce is a great way to get them interested in trying new things. Let them pick from a variety of options and try something new each time you visit!